Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This Ain’t yo’ Father’s Walden Pond! Part I

After over two months in a cramped New York City studio, my wife and I are now living eight miles from Front Royal, eighty miles from DC, high up in the Blue Mountains, off a gravel road, and in a “not so rustic” cabin in the woods.  This detour was less planned than pleasantly fortuitous; less vacation than a practical consequence of moving back to DC on short notice.

The plan is to stay here for two months as we look for an apartment and make the slow transition back to DC.   But the bayou-raised Coonass in me is just diggin’ the scene and goin’ with the flow!  Since we’ve been here I’ve started wandering around the house half naked and scratching myself; I’m constantly looking for a good stick to carve; I’ve been looking for two good trees to roast a pig between; I feel like rolling up my pants just above my ankles, digging my toenails into the dry dirt, sticking a wad of chew in my lip and spitting out the juice as I talk to add emphasis to the strange folksy things I seem to feel like saying now.

Who knows?  We might decide to stay out here for years.  I could get a pickup truck and find some coal mine to work at.  Or I could write a recipe book all about dishes prepared with squirrel.  I’m thinkin’ it over.  

7 comments:

  1. Not only would I buy that book, but I'd move in next door and together, we could look for sticks to carve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! Or we could make overalls out of rocks, sticks, and goat scrotums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously though, I’ve been taking advantage of the situation to try and get my ass back in shape. Graduate school can really do a number on your physical (and psychological) condition!
    Since we live just off the Appalachian Trail, I’ve taken to doing some hiking each day. I’ve even taken the rock climbing gear out of storage. I’m getting fucking serious here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds nice, man. How's Heej enjoying the countryside? Korean women aren't too keen on the whole scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heejung’s really into it. She likes this place a lot more than the tent we use when we go camping. Though, I don’t expect to see her swimming in lakes, digging in the mud, or skinning squirrels any time soon. But I’m working on it. She does like crawfish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. The cabin is awesome. You did a good job...for the first time... Joel. :)

    ReplyDelete