Thursday, March 4, 2010

Absolutely NO EXCUSE!!!

Alright . . . . I just couldn’t let this one go.  I understand how difficult it is to write in a foreign language.  Mistakes are common, even for those who’ve spent decades working diligently to improve their skill.  But people who publish in second or third languages USE PROOFREADERS.  Shit, foreign or native, it’s just a good idea.  This is simply INEXCUSABLE!!!  The Writer and Publisher should be ashamed.

Mike, how do you say 腹切 in Korean?


 And this is only one example out of dozens.

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I've actually had people end up using their original, Koreanized English even after I spent the time and effort to make it sensible. Their justification? "It makes more sense to Koreans".

    *forehead slap*

    Oh and I didn't know this but apparently harakiri is 할복 in Korean. Now I have to find out if there is a ritual for it like seppuku.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.

    While sometimes bad English does "make more sense to Koreans," these mistakes are clearly the product of plain-ol' shoddy work. Somebody loan the editor a sword!!

    ReplyDelete